Friday, February 13, 2009

Perfect Sugar Cookies

I know everyone says their recipe is the "best", or "award-winning", or "famous", and I'll tell you, I have tried them all! I have found that most of them must not know what makes a good sugar cookie...at least in my opinion! So last night at midnight I tried this recipe (Loron decided he needed a treat for work today) and I think it is the best ever. I tweaked one that I found on allrecipes and I think it is pretty much sugar cookie nirvana! Try this one and let me know what you think. P.S. If you ever visit my blog I would love for you to leave a comment!

Summer's Sugar Cookies

1 C butter
1/2 C shortening
2 C sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 lemon -- juiced and zested
5 C flour (I have to use a little more because of the altitude here, so about 5 1/2 C)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

Cream together butter, sugar, and eggs. Add vanilla and lemon ( I used meyer lemons,, they have such a nice mild flavor, I also really like orange in these, so try either one). Combine dry ingredients and then add to wet and mix. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight. Roll out on floured surface, roll to 1/4 to 1/2" thick. Cut out and place on ungreased baking sheet, bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 6-8 minutes (I think 6 is plenty). Let cool and frost with favorite buttercream icing. Made about 4 dozen med-sized hearts.

5 comments:

Jon and Christine Knecht said...

I'm gonna try this today! I have been trying out several different recipes and haven't found one I liked yet! Have you tried any with sour cream or cream cheese?

Jon and Christine Knecht said...

My family loved these! They liked the lemon tinge! VERY YUMMY!

TIFF said...

okay, I didn't know you had this blog too!!! So excited to scroll thru and find all sorts of YUMMY stuff! I'm always looking for tried-and-true recipes! You are such a domestic DIVA!

Jessica said...

Thanks for being so willing to share all of these recipes! I have tried a lot of them first hand from you and they are all so yummy! I only wish I had your skills to go with the recipes.

Jennifer said...

Every time I make these for Brian's work, they are gone IMMEDIATELY!!! These are the best ever! They are the only sugar cookies that I have ever been able to make successfully.