Friday, January 9, 2009

Butternut Squash and Pear Soup

Ingredients
4 tablespoons butter
1 medium/large onion, diced
1 medium butternut squash peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
4 pears, peeled and chopped into roughly 1-inch pieces
1-quart low sodium chicken stock, or enough to cover
1 tsp ginger
Heavy cream
Salt, freshly ground black pepper and granulated sugar
Directions
In a saucepan melt the butter over medium-high heat, and add and sweat the onions. Add pears and squash and sweat those too a bit. Pour in the stock, enough to submerge solids. Add ginger and bring to a simmer and cook until squash is fork tender about 15 to 18 minutes. Puree with immersion blender or pour into a food processor. Add a touch of cream and season, to taste. Serve with chopped chives if desired.

1 comment:

Jen Barnes said...

This was super yummy! We had friends try some the night I made it as well and they both thought it was super good too. My girl wasn't a huge fan, but everyone else was. I think I put a little too much cream. I don't think I measured it and felt guilty for putting a lot in because it does only need a tad. Or none at all if trying to be healthy. Thank you women!