Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Rosa Pasta

This one's for you Jen. I have to admit that when I give you all these recipes, I hope that they taste good to you. When I cook I usually do not follow a recipe so the measurements are never exact, so recreating a dish isn't always an exact science. I encourage you to adjust any seasoning to your own personal tastes.
This is one of those recipes that came from looking in my fridge in deperation as to what to make for dinner one night and perfecting a Grandpa Gordie specialty. Loron said that whenever his dad was in charge of the cooking he would toss together some bacon, canned tomatoes, and macaroni noodles. So here is a gussy-upped version, and it is one of my kids favorites.

Ingredients
Angel Hair Pasta -- boil in salted water
1 lb bacon, cut into small pieces and cook.
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 shallot--minced (use a small white onion instead if you need to)
2 cloves of garlic -- minced
10-12 diced mushrooms
artichoke hearts -- chopped, optional
black olives-- finely diced, optional
1/3-1/2 C chopped fresh basil (dry can be substituted, use s TBSP or two)
1/4--1/2 C cream
1 TBSP butter
salt and pepper

In a saute pan cook bacon. Drain on papertowels and set aside. Remove bacon fat from pan and add onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook until all of the liquid is gone from the mushrooms. Add tomatoes. Cook until most of the liquid from the tomatoes has evaporated. Add bacon and basil, and anything else you would like at this point. Let simmer for a couple of minutes. Add cream and butter and let simmer, don't let it boil. The butter just helps to make the sauce have a nice smooth consistency. Season as desired with salt and pepper. Toss with pasta. Great topped with shredded parmesan and toasted pine nuts. Also good with grilled chicken tossed into the mix. Ciao!

1 comment:

Jen Barnes said...

Friend, you are the greatest! This pasta is SOOO Good. Thank you. I look forward to making it. I've never used shallots before, but I saw them the other day at the grocery store and remembered you saying you liked using those. I'll give it a try.